Rogaining.

For comments on anything (or one)

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Ham Brian

Rogaining.

Post by Ham Brian »

Well, I'd never heard of rogaining before, but according to a radio ham in Queensland, Australia it is a very popular outdoor competitive activity "down under"! Sort of orienteering in wild country over a period of 24 hours with checkpoints and an emphasis on route finding. So my question is, is it done in the UK at all? It would work very well, I think, in parts of Scotland and Wales.

Note that there are several amusing variants, including metrogaine in an urban environment and cyclogaine where the area favours cycling.

(Added in edit)

I got this in reply to a query:

"Hi Brian. Check out http://vra.rogaine.asn.au/getting-start ... ining.html

Essentially a rogaine is a team based event - 2 to 5 a team, but typically 2. The controls are in no set order. Each control is worth a certain number of points, some more than others. The value of points for each control is set by the setters of the course, and is a bit of an art form. It is expected that there be far more controls than is possible to visit within the allotted time, and there is heavy loss of points for even being a few minutes over time. Rogainers must make a decision as to what controls are possible to visit within the alloted time in order to maximize points.

Of course, no electronic navigational aids may be used such as GPS, altimeters, etc. Only a map and a compass.

73 de Wayne VK3WAM"

Sounds interesting!
Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawks flight in the empty sky.
Vicki

Re: Rogaining.

Post by Vicki »

It sounds like the adventure races that Simon and Mel have done in the past. I don't think they use that term over here though.