Summer Holiday 2016

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Adam

Summer Holiday 2016

Post by Adam »

Hello Mercians

Now that 2016 is well under way, the weather is getting warmer, easter will be here soon, it is time to start thinking about summer holiday plans. This has been discussed with a few people and a loose plan has been developed. Two weeks in the french alps, around july/august. 1 week in La Clusaz, 1 week in Chamonix. Its an hours drive between the resorts.

La Clusaz
Get away from the hustle and bustle and experience an unspoilt french mountain town (can you tell I copied that). Things to do include
Rock Climbing
Mountain biking
Via Ferrata
Rambling
Eating quasonts, drinking coffee.

Chamonix
Possibly the biggest resort in france. Lots going on in town, many bars and shops, an ideal opportunity to be a Cham-W**ker. Things to do include
Climb Mont Blanc
Alpinism on any other big peak
Rock Climbing
Mountain biking
Via Ferrata
Shopping and drinking

If your interested sign up below. Note any dates you cant do. We can then make a solid plan on dates and whos going. For accommodation it will be best to organize yourselves into groups of about 4 and book an apartment for that group, though it would be good if we could all stay in the same building or area of town at least.

So, get on board.
Adam
Stew

Re: Summer Holiday 2016

Post by Stew »

I'll certainly be in the area for 2 and a half weeks over the summer. Will want to spend some time in Chamonix to do the Frendo Spur on the Midi and probably something on Mont Blanc. I'll also be wanting to head over to Switzerland for peaks from Evolene and and Zermatt so will be camping rather than using an apartment. I've put out the first two weeks of August as a starter-for-10 but am pretty flexible. It'd be nice to overlap with people in Chamonix for some of the trip. Dan will be coming over from NZ and has the same objectives in mind as me. I've camped in Argentiere (smaller and quieter than it's neighbour) just north of Chamonix in the past and it's been fine - a 15 minute free bus ride into town. I think and Tom and Sandy are keen on the Frendo too but don't to put words into people's mouths.
joel

Post by joel »

Ill have a look a some dates, sounds like a good location and plan.

My holiday is very limited so id only be doing 1 week max, maybe even less :s.
Jules

Post by Jules »

This all sounds good and I'd be keen for some or all of it, including Chamonix routes. Mont Blanc might well be on the agenda this time also! I'd be keen for camping to keep it flexible - the Chamonix campsites get booked up quickly so Argentiere might work better.

However, I'm not sure what's happening with jobs, holidays at the moment so I can't plan dates - I'll just see if I can fit something around the dates you all come up with.......
Vicki

Post by Vicki »

I'd be up for a week or two. It would be cragging and via ferrata for me.
Louise

Post by Louise »

Count me in too. Flexible on dates. Ideally would like to do two weeks.

I'd be up for climbing, Via Ferrata and easyish walks. Happy to sit and drink wine, eat cheese, soak up la belle vie francaise whilst others go off to bag peaks or throw themselves down hills on a bike. :)
Vicki

Post by Vicki »

Lou, that sounds like a plan. :)
Tom

Post by Tom »

if I go to Skye I'll only have one week in the summer, the aim of which will be to walk around Chamonix town centre in brightly coloured trousers and a harness (and maybe do the Frendo Spur) Anything else is a bonus. If I don't go to Skye then I'll have 2 weeks and my aims will be the same as Stew's. Camping will be preferable if we need to be flexible and happy with argentiere. Couple of decent bars there and much quieter than Cham.
Tom M
Huw

Post by Huw »

Count me in for two weeks. I have a family wedding in the first week of August, the 5th Aug, so please please miss that if poss! I'd def up for biking and via ferrata
SandyH

Post by SandyH »

I'm afraid I am in Peru from 25 Jul through to 22 Aug so think that will put me out. If you decide on dates outside of that then I would definitely be interested. Keen to get a couple of big routes in and finally get Mt Blanc done.
Clare1

Post by Clare1 »

I am defo free throughout July and Aug and would be interested in all the activities mentioned above. Willing to book as soon as :D
(I can start going on Thurs eves from end of this month - be a good idea to get to know everyone better beforehand.)
Louise_Ting

Post by Louise_Ting »

I'd be up for a week in August though I won't get my new rota for a while so I won't know any dates yet. I'll just cross my fingers that I can fit in with everyone elses plans!
Clare1

Post by Clare1 »

Just noticed that some folks are going for just 1 week. That would suit me better too, so I can save the time off for another hol.
Fabian

Post by Fabian »

^^^Go Adam^^^

I am up for biking in la clusaz if we go when the uplift is open!
Jules

Post by Jules »

Ah, the retro bicycle. I'm pretty sure Adam's new wheels don't jump that high.... either that or Butler's losing his edge :yawinkle: :yawinkle: