Tranearth, Tover, Coniston - 8-10 April

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Adam

Tranearth, Tover, Coniston - 8-10 April

Post by Adam »

Hello Everyone

Booking for the Tranearth meet is now open. The hut is an ideal start point for the Old Man of Coniston and Dow Crag. We have 15 spaces booked at £8 per night. It looks like a comfortable hut but it is a 1km walk in (10-15 min), so best to pack light.

Also worth bearing in mind is many people will be going to Petes funeral on monday, so try and organize lifts accordingly.

Torver, CONISTON, Cumbria, LA21 8BP Grid Ref: SD 281957

http://lancashireclimbingandcavingclub. ... tranearth/

Cheers
Adam

1. Stew
2. Joel
3. Beth
4. Huw
5. Tom
6. Julie (sat only)
7. Louise (set only)
8. Anna
9. Vic
10. Adam
Stew

Re: Tranearth, Tover, Coniston - 8-10 April

Post by Stew »

Sign me up please.

I'll drive and am going from Coniston to Pete's funeral if anyone wants to lift share. I'll be driving home from Edinburgh on the Monday late afternoon.
joel

Post by joel »

Me too please, Same plans as Stew..

leaving Birmingham after 7 for any late travellers who want a lift??
Beth

Post by Beth »

sign me up please, I also plan to go from Coniston up to Edinburgh x
Huw

Post by Huw »

Can you sign me up please. Same plan as above for monday. Thanks, Huw
Tom

Post by Tom »

Ditto above
Tom M
Jules

Post by Jules »

Just Sat night for me please, I'll come up late afternoon.
Same plan for Sunday, I guess we could leave some cars in the Lakes and drop people off on the way back.
Jules
Louise

Post by Louise »

Please also sign me up for Saturday night only.

Happy to drive to Edinburgh on the Sunday if people want to car share.

Thanks

Lou
annamairead

Post by annamairead »

can I sign up please? i'm not heading up to edinburgh after.

would anyone be able to give me a lift from windermere station on friday evening? and ideally back again on sunday if possible

Anna
Vicki

Post by Vicki »

Count me in please.
Tom

Post by Tom »

are people thinking pub dinner due to issues getting food there etc?
Tom M
Beth

Post by Beth »

I can cook as long as someone else can carry!

...I've had a couple of carrying volunteers, so thai fish curry is on offer. It may sound a bit weird but it's tasty; Stew, Tom and Jules can vouch for it, I hope! I'm going to assume that everyone on here would like including, but please text me if not.

Beth
Last edited by Beth on 07 Apr 2016, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Adam

Post by Adam »

If your doing food count me in. Happy to carry.

Adam
Vicki

Post by Vicki »

Can Stewart and I have food please?
Beth

Post by Beth »

Ummmm, this was todays ground conditions report for the lakes.... Sounds quite wintery! I particularly enjoyed the telling off of the large family with dog...

Latest: 07/04/2016 15:43 FELL TOP CONDITIONS REPORT from Helvellyn Summit at 1220 UTC on Thursday 7 April 2016. Our winter fell top assessing service was due to finish on Easter Monday; however with the recent return of snow to the tops (although it never totally left) it has been decided to continue the service for a little longer. Today the highest fells were very much in winter condition. On Helvellyn fresh snow and hail were falling at times above 750m, adding to the snow that has already settled within the last 48 hours. The deepest drifts are now around 70cm in depth. Slopes facing north through to south-east have the bulk of this fresh snow, whilst the west-facing slopes of the summit plateau are largely scoured by the wind, but were icy today. Both Striding Edge and Swirral Edge were ice-bound today. The exits from both of these ridges was today very steep, hard snow, requiring the use of an ice axe and crampons to make a safe ascent or descent. Sadly, few other people seen on these ridges today had these essential winter walking tools. One large family with a dog were in need of a line of steps cutting to the summit plateau - a role that the assessor was only too glad to take on, to save one or more members of the family sliding down the cliffs out of control. Unfortunately, this same family then went on to begin descending the wrong side of the mountain, and later, allowed their dog to chase the sheep in Keppel Cove. This is not good enough folks. We enjoy the open access that our fells afford us, but with that access we each need to be responsible for our actions in the hills. Take an ice axe and crampons. Know how to navigate. And keep your dog on a lead during the lambing/bird nesting season. The diminishing cornices on N through to SE headwalls are growing larger, and on the Red Tarn headwall some of the gullies are yet again complete - Gully 1 and Gully 2 are full at the moment, but the assessor didn't make any snow assessments in their vicinity today. Full winter clothing and equipment are still needed by anyone going above 750m in the fells. Today, the most useful pieces of equipment carried by the assessor were; ice axe and crampons; snow goggles; map and compass; waterproofs; hat and gloves. Come properly equipped for winter walking and you can still grab a winter ascent of Helvellyn in all her glory. Temperature plus 1.1 deg C, Maximum Wind Speed 11.3mph, Wind Chill minus 2.8 deg C Average Wind Speed 6.7 mph