August Bank Holiday - Buttermere

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Adam

August Bank Holiday - Buttermere

Post by Adam »

Hello Mercians

After much debate, faff and mind changing, the bank holiday meet will be in Buttermere. We will be staying at Sykes farm campsite.

This is an area of the Lakes the club does not visit often. Thought as you probably already know, there is much opportunity for some Hike Bike Climb. you could walk the ridge from High stile to Great Gable, bike in Whinlatter Forrest or do a mountain circuit from the campsite, climb at shepherd crag 15 min from the car or hike into a big mountain route. There is also the possibility of a night in the Warnscale Head bothy, or some Via Ferrata in Honister slate mine.

So, more than enough for one bank holiday. All you have to do now is sign up. Camping is £8 per night, on a first come first serve basis. If anybody gets there early it would be best to grab some space for all.

http://www.sykefarmcampsite.com/

Cheers
Adam

P.s. Its raining this weekend so next weekend will be perfect.

1. Adam
2. Louise T
3. Louise B
4. Tom
5. Sarah
6. Julie
Louise_Ting

Re: August Bank Holiday - Buttermere

Post by Louise_Ting »

Sign me up please! :)

Will anyone be leaving on the Friday evening be able to give me a lift? Awkwardly I'm now living in Wolverhampton and I have a mountain bike that I'd be keen to bring if there's room... I will gladly pay for petrol and food and drink and eternally gratuity!
Louise

Post by Louise »

Sign me up please! Never done shepherds crag so would fancy that if the weathers nice.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Yep, sign Sarah and I up please. I'll be up for a day on Grey Crag (specifically Dexter Wall)
Tom M
slaight

Post by slaight »

Yeah my second meet (finally) :D
Sarah :D
Jules

Post by Jules »

Go on then. I'll have some of that. I'm taking a bike and might be leaving straight from Derby... I'll confirm next week.
Stew

Post by Stew »

I'll be at the Steampunk Asylum, so that's no from me. As well as Dexter Wall on Grey Crag I'd recommend High Crag too; good for the Sunday as the walk in is only about 40 minutes.
Jules

Post by Jules »

I know the answer before I ask this, but anyone fancy a mountain orineteering/fell run type event - I've been recommended this by a few people. Let me know if you fancy doing as a duo:

http://www.minimountainmarathon.co.uk/d ... -race.html

I've also found a 7km off road run on BH Monday in Keswick which shouldn't be too severe.

Let me know if you fancy either, I'd like to do one of them

Tom - seem to recall you are considering taking up running?!
Adam

Post by Adam »

There does look to be some good routes to link together on Grey Crag, I know what I'm aiming for. My other aim is not to go running.
joel

Post by joel »

I May be up for this..

and yes Jules sounds awesome! although i must warn you i pretty much died last time i did this,
Jules

Post by Jules »

Nice one Joel :)

I'm impressed that despite near death you are keen for a re-show, I'm sure this one will be far easier..... ? ;)
joel

Post by joel »

Bollocks will it if i'm running with you!

My plan is is to fill your bag with boulders,, not stones,.. boulders....
ohh who am i kidding it still wouldn't slow you down enough ... :P

Do we need to sign up?
Louise_Ting

Post by Louise_Ting »

Hey guys, how feasible is it for me to get a lift to the lakes being in Wolverhampton and not able to leave until 7pm (as I finish work at 6pm)... I know it's going to be a ballache for anyone giving me a lift :/

I'm assuming it's easier if I don't bring my bike and just hire one instead. Would it be OK with those wanting to go mountain biking if we stopped at the bike hire in Whinlatter forest?
joel

Post by joel »

Hi Louise,

Im not leaving Birmingham until 7pm, so if you need im sure i could swing by around 7:30 ish.. your bike may fit in my car if its just us 2.

Let us know what you think..

My Mob: 07772064633
Louise_Ting

Post by Louise_Ting »

That'd be amazing Joel, thanks so much for the offer :)