Helyg, Ogwen - 25-27 Nov

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Vicki

Re: Helyg, Ogwen - 25-27 Nov

Post by Vicki »

Stewart will have food please Vicky.
VickyHiggs

Post by VickyHiggs »

Hmmmm, I was thinking maybe some chicken, chorizo and tomatoes, or if that doesn't work for people I can do a good veggie curry. I hadn't made my mind up yet so happy to take on board any requests/dietary requirements. Just let me know.
Vicki

Post by Vicki »

That's fine with me then. Have you been able to get yourself sorted with ice axe and crampons? We can lend you an axe but we don't have any spare boot/crampons.
Stew

Post by Stew »

Not sure of the forecast yet but I'm guessing it'll be too cold to rock climb and that the snow (if any) won't be in the sort of winter condition that dreams are made of. So I thought something like:
- drop a car off at Ogwen cottage the night before.
- drive over the Capel and park behind Joe Brown's in the morning.
- do a full traverse of the Glyders to either the Devils Kitchen or Y Garn, then descend.
- car relay back, perhaps via the Byn Turk.
Food for thought anyway, I'm open to ideas, it's either that or the North Ridge of Tryfan!
Louise

Post by Louise »

Either food option is good with me Vicky so please add me to the list.

I don't have ice axes or crampons either so a non technical walk/slog would suit me. Weather dependent of course. There's currently a small typhoon raging outside!
VickyHiggs

Post by VickyHiggs »

The forecast actually looks decent for the weekend. Bit cloudy and cold but no rain. I'm feeling positive! (always dangerous for Wales).

Unfortunately I don't have an axe or crampons yet. I do have some shiny new boots though, so I am half way there. If anyone has spares then I'd love to give it a go. Otherwise Louise I am well up for a nice stroll somewhere.
Stew

Post by Stew »

I can lend you an axe Vicki, if you can source some crampons.
Welsh Git

Post by Welsh Git »

I'm allowed out for the weekend, yippee! Let it snow...

Vicky, could you put me down for food please? I have some crampons you can borrow which will fit b2 or b3 boots

Cheers,
Tom G
If you're going to be dumb, you'd better be tough...
VickyHiggs

Post by VickyHiggs »

Hi Tom, that would be wonderful, thanks! I have some B2 boots so hopefully they will work. I will put you down for food also.
VickyHiggs

Post by VickyHiggs »

Stew if I could borrow the axe that would also be great!
Jules

Post by Jules »

Stew
That sounds a good plan if the weather's good, would be a fairly long route but plenty of drop out routes back to Ogwen if the weather's not great.

There's always the same car relay plan and then go north over the Carneddau and down to Ogwen for something different as well.

I'd be more keen for those than the north face of Tryfan, it's good but also done many times, although we could walk straight from the hut, always a bonus.

I've seen pictures of loads of snow last week but I think some might have vanished this week with the rain so fingers crossed :)
Welsh Git

Post by Welsh Git »

Hey Vicky, as long as your boots have a crampon lug on the back (a little ridge), they'll fit.
If you're going to be dumb, you'd better be tough...
Louise

Post by Louise »

Please also add Ed Shaw from the Solihull Club to the list of attendees. Thanks!
BeckySpaghetti

Post by BeckySpaghetti »

Hi,
Could I be added to the list too please?
Joe is there any chance there'd be room for a 3rd person in your car? I could do with a lift and will need to leave slightly later after work too. I can meet you both in Moseley and bring road trip snacks as a small compensation :)
Louise

Post by Louise »

Please also add Ed to the food list. He's struggling to get on the forum!