August Bank Holiday - South Pembroke

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Stew

August Bank Holiday - South Pembroke

Post by Stew »

This year the August bank holiday meet will be in Pembroke…but not as you know it. I’ve not known the club to ever go to South Pembroke to savour the climbing areas centred around Bosherston. That’s surprising given there is stacks of amazing climbing there, some incredible beaches, and amazing coastal walking.

The meet will be from Friday 24th to Monday 27th of August.

Camping will be at St. Petrox which is lovely spot that does not require any booking nor deposit. In fact they prefer you to not try to book, just turn up he camp site has several fields and if it gets busy they just open up another field. You’ll also be pleased to know there is no silliness to do with having to arrive by a certain time, if you arrive out of hours pitch your tent and pay up in the morning. Vicki and I were just there last week and it is a good spot with hot showers.

http://www.stpetroxcampingandcaravansite.co.uk/

1. Beth
2. Huw
3. Fabian
4. Vicky
5. Sarah
6. Friends of Sarah (x8)
7. Watson the excitable spaniel
8. Becky
9. Karl
Beth

Re: August Bank Holiday - South Pembroke

Post by Beth »

Huw and I will come unless it's forecast to be a washout!
slaight

Post by slaight »

It's my birthday the Friday :) I have asked a few other friends to join for the weekend. But again, plans will change if weather is due to be bad :) :drinkers:
Sarah :D
Fabian

Post by Fabian »

I am in.

Thanks for all the optimistic replies - If the weather is rubbish, I vote for tourism/sightseeing and the pub.
VickyHiggs

Post by VickyHiggs »

I'm in too. Weather is looking fairly decent at present! :D
slaight

Post by slaight »

If anyone is going to the pub Thursday could you get the climbing guide for the area please? I'm heading Friday morning with a stop on the way to go mountain biking I think. About 8 of my old kayaking friends are coming to join for the weekend too for birthday celebrations. They all climb or walk or bike or similar. One has a very cute and excitable spaniel called Watson :)
kudos

Post by kudos »

Please add me and my dog to the list.

I would very much like to climb, but notice that there is not the usual hardcore element of climbers present. I will be bringing my rope and rack anyway, and hope to find willing partners anyway.

Beth/Huw/Sarah - are you guys intending to climb?

Sarah - are any of your friends lead climbers?

I'll will try and get to the pub to grab the guide.

Karl
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
Beth

Post by Beth »

I would like to do some climbing!

I also need to go for a run as half marathon training and have planned a 9 mile route from the campsite. If anyone wants to come along that would be nice but you will probably have to slow down for me!

Karl, if you make it to the pub it looks like there is a South Pembrokeshire OS map in the library too that would come in very handy...
slaight

Post by slaight »

I would like to climb. One of my friends is a lead climber. And out of the rest only 1/2 others climbs regularly anyway.

A few of friends are also training for runs but 9 miles may be abit long for them (and me for that matter) so i am planning a shorter run from the campsite. Go BETH Go!
BeckySpaghetti

Post by BeckySpaghetti »

Hey!

I would like to join for this meet but just wondering if anyone is planning to head down Friday after work? If not i may look at trains as an option.

If I can make it I would definitly like to climb. I'm comfortable leading on sport but haven't done any trad lead. Also would join you for a 9 mile run Beth as I'm in need of some training for the half! (Not doing very well so far)
kudos

Post by kudos »

There hasn't been any discussion about lifts, so let me open this up.

I'm driving on account on bringing the dog. I would have space for one person.

However #1 : I dont' fancy sitting in traffic, so was going to either arrive late on Friday (dep. 8pm, arr. midnight) or early on Sat (dep. 5am :( , arr. 9am). Driving from Cannock, so central or west side of Brum is best for pick ups.

However '#2: I'm considering staying down an extra day if the weather is good. So it would be a one way lift. Tempting, I know!

Also, it would be useful to know whose arriving early and therefore whose car to look out for in a dark field!
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
kudos

Post by kudos »

Regarding climbing, I think the lack of leaders is going to be a bit of a stickler. I count 2 leaders, which would support a further 4 seconds. Ah, maybe not so bad after all.

It being sea cliffs then I suppose it's possible for people to be lowered on a top rope, then belayed out. No lead skills required.

I'll bring my running shoes since a 9 miler is for some reason rather appealing (I mustn't be gettigng out enough).

K
Stew

Post by Stew »

I'd recommend saddle head as a climbing venue - look up the route Sea Breeze (HS). You can scramble down into it, it is non tidal, and single pitch with many climbs in the D to VS grades. For the more experienced a 2 pitch route called Sky Blue (VS 4b) which does need an abseil in is incredible. It is just around the corner (literally).
VickyHiggs

Post by VickyHiggs »

Becky I have sent you an email about lifts - it's a bit complicated but I'm sure we can sort something for the way down. We can definitely fit you in on the way back.

Karl, look out for cars belonging to Fabian and Hue. I'm not sure about anyone else!
kudos

Post by kudos »

If Watson gets his name on the list, can someone stick Dylan The Villian on it too?

Also, unless Fabian and Huw have personalised numberplates I don't think they'll look any different to all of the other cars in the dark field. Weren't the Mercian stickers removed for when we went ingotnito to that campsite in the Lakes?

I now figure I will be going down on Friday afterall, the early start would be just too early!