Mourne Mountains, Northern Ireland, 1st May Bank Holiday

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

VickyHiggs

Re: Mourne Mountains, Northern Ireland, 1st May Bank Holiday

Post by VickyHiggs »

I've already booked for me, Fabian, Huw, Beth, Louise and Adam.
VickyHiggs

Post by VickyHiggs »

Sorry also booked for Harry!
VickyHiggs

Post by VickyHiggs »

Sorry also booked for Harry!
avmaestro

Post by avmaestro »

I see several people have "booked" the camp site. Has this been done as a Group in order to get the discounted rate of £5 pppn and also sign up to the Terms and Conditions of No Noise, No Alcohol, No Drunkenness, No Fun???
I e-mailed Frank and got this reply which suggests that he is not aware that we are a Group.
I also see that it is "tents only" site so I will try and find out whether I can get the Van on it without getting stuck in an Irish bog.

HI Malcom,

Although we are a tents only site, we occassionally take small campervans (no larger than a transit van) on the basis that they are camping. We do not have any electrical hookups and have a section of unpaved access.

We have availability. We are a very scenic, secluded and quiet site and therefore have a strict "no noise, no alcohol after midnight" policy. We also do not permit excessive noise or drunkenness at any time.

Our price is £6 per person per night with the following exceptions.

We have the following minimum charges;

£15 per tent for a one night stay.
£25 per tent for a two night stay (£12.50 per night)
£10 per tent per night for three or more nights.
We have the following discounts;
£5 per person per night when purchasing 10 person nights or more (per transaction and tent).

If you would like to book, just respond to this email stating that all the persons in your group accept our noise and alcohol policies and I will confirm your booking and send you directions to the site.

Regards
Frank
Watch where you're putting your feet
Mike Hogg

Post by Mike Hogg »

Hi Folks

I am not going on this meet so please remove my name. Not sure how I was posted as going.

i would not want you to break away from your evening BBQ and drinks party to look for me :oops:

Thanks Mike
Mike van Dog
MattKettle

Post by MattKettle »

Hi everyone, I was waiting on this cos I have rehearsals in London on Monday all day and wasn’t sure how to get back in time. I’ve only just been sent the schedule and unfortunately (as always), I am not going to be able make it. I’m really sorry! Anyway, I hope everybody is good and to see you all very soon. Have a great time!
Beth

Post by Beth »

I think he is aware we're a group Malc. Vicky booked me in, along with a few others, so I haven't spoken to him myself, but I think when he talks about all the members of your group following the rules he means everyone on your booking. Hope you find a suitable spot for your van!

Looks like it's going to be dry but cold so bring your thermals everyone! I'm totally up for a pub dinner one night.

I'm thinking of going horse riding on the Sunday morning at 10am. I'll be doing a 2 hour ride for more experienced riders, but they also have hour long rides for less experienced people at 10 and 11, if anyone fancies it! Let me know and I can book people in when I book mine. The hour is £20 and the 2 hour £38. http://mountpleasantcentre.com/

Beth
kudos

If you've got any space.....

Post by kudos »

Hi folks,

So myself and Lucy (and Ruth) are flying out to this meet, and as a result aren't able to bring that much comfy camping gear.

I appreciate how quickly the car fills up, but if you find any camping chair shaped spaces (plus the chairs to fill them) then you would find one/two/three very happy Mercians to utilise them.

Cheers y'all,

K
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
kudos

Arrival

Post by kudos »

Hi again,

Myself, Lucy and Ruth land at around 8:30 in Belfast. We'll get some shopping on the way if space in the hire car allows, and intend on heading straight to the camp site (1 hour away) to pitch up. So should be there about 10:30-11:00.

What time are others expected there?

K
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
kudos

DIRECTIONS

Post by kudos »

Arrival time is between 11am and 6pm. It is possible to arrive outside these times providing it is arranged in advance.

Check out time is 11 am.

The directions to the site are;

When in Newcastle follow the signs for Kilkeel.

After you leave Newcastle (Harbour Inn on your left) travel for just under 2 miles along the coast road.

Ignore any sign for Mourne Campsite.

It is not Mourne Camping.

You will see a car park with toilet block on your left.

At the end of the car park is a speed camera sign.

The entrance is opposite the speed camera sign. You will see an Ulsterbus stop and a National Trust sign beside the entrance.

Go through the gate (stay in first gear) and up the small concrete hill.

A very short distance after the end of the concrete, you should see a painted flagstone with an arrow to the right for Mourne Camping, there is a short lane with a gate at the end.

The camp site is through the gate.

Just pick a spot and pitch up, we will come round to collect payment a number of times during the day.

If you have any problems just phone me.
VickyHiggs

Post by VickyHiggs »

Hi Karl,

We have four in our car so I suspect limited space for extra chairs, sorry! Hopefully someone else can help.

I think ferry folk will get there around 9-9.30. Maybe still setting up when you arrive. If not I'll try and text you a location. I'll be in my small green Vango banshee tent. I'll try and tie something to it. ~Guessing it won't be that busy due to the rather chilly weather forecast!
VickyHiggs

Post by VickyHiggs »

Hi, campsite is closed as Frank is in hospital in Belfast. We are now at Mourne Motor Home and Camping, 35 Ballagh Rd, look out for yellow mini on the left as you head out of Newcastle and along the coast. It is a few minutes before the original campsite.