Cycling from Birmingham to Bulgaria 2019

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

anam

Cycling from Birmingham to Bulgaria 2019

Post by anam »

Hello,

I have been planning to cycle to Bulgaria from Birmingham for about a year now. I will roughly be following Eurovelo Routes:

http://www.eurovelo.com/en/eurovelos

Have been thinking about starting with Eurovelo 12, then roughly 2; 4 or 15, followed by 7 or 9, and ending with 6 or 13. There are a lot of variations and combinations we can do. I personally would love to go via Poland because I have never been there then Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, Serbia, etc. I have not visited any of those countries.

I have never done long distance cycling and will aim to complete the journey in a month. The idea is to cycle all day long and to stop early evening to explore the place or just chill. I will be traveling very light. The plan for when darkness comes upon me is to bivi or use "warm showers":

https://www.warmshowers.org/

I don't want to follow a strict plan. Anything could happen.

Let me know if you are interested and we can start doing some rough planning.

I know it's very close to the Moroccan trip but thought to share...

Ana
Fabian

Re: Cycling from Birmingham to Bulgaria 2019

Post by Fabian »

Ana - what are the dates for this trip?
Jules

Post by Jules »

Uwww.... sounds interesting!
anam

Post by anam »

Sorry! I forgot to mention dates! In my head I thought I had done :)

I would say hitting the road around 30 July or 15 August 2019. Waiting to finalise project dates in July/August.

For now I've settled on Routes 5 (Via Romeo) to Basel and 6(Rivers Route) but very tempeted to go via Poznan - routes 2 (Capitals Route) to Warsaw, then get on the 11(East Europe Route) to the end, then join 13 (Iron Curtain Route) to his before Gura Văii in Romania where I decide to carry on the 13 or join number 6(River Route) to the end.

I hope that helps :) A friend has nearly convinced me to take a tent in case it rains...
anam

Post by anam »

Hello,

Life doesn't work out the way we plan it all the time. Hurray!

This adventure happened in a different way. I cycled for 5 weeks every day, except weekends! I saved my weekends for hiking and hanging out in cabins with swimming pools in the mountains. Went to the Black Sea in May, had never done that before. It was magical to have a long beach to ourselves and an empty campsite in the woods! We were as loud as we could be :)
Met and spoke to at least 50 new faces and a lot more to come!

I'm back and had a lot of sorting out to do. Camping for the summer to complete the adventure was number 1 on the list ;) Working at music festivals in England before I head up to Glasgow on 31 August. Thought I was done with Britain but alas! It's really good to be back and to be preparing for Glasgow School of Art.

I'm mostly away from Thursday to Monday every week. Maybe see you last week in August for my next round of leaving drinks.

Meanwhile, please let me know if you are climbing outdoors on school days. Not ready to face the indoors yet. Still hanging out in the garden until I froze in the dark!

Ana