Peaks of the Balkans - Summer 2020

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Stew

Peaks of the Balkans - Summer 2020

Post by Stew »

After an incredible week of hut-to-hut hiking in Norway in May 2019, Vic and I are considering another multi-day hiking trip in August(-ish) of 2020. I want to go somewhere rugged, off the beaten track, spectacular, culturally interesting, and where I’ve never been before. I think the “Peaks of the Balkans” trek ticks all of those boxes.

The 119-mile trail winds it’s way through the mountains across the Montenegro, Albania and Kosovo borders, taking in national parks in all three countries in 10 to 13 days. I’d see that as a 2-week trip, perhaps doing it in 10 or 11 days, and leaving some time for a bit of culture. The route can be shortened to about 7 days by chopping out Kosovo, but would still realistically be an 8 or 9-day trip to allow for travel.

There are various accommodation options on the route, or camping gear could be an option too for a real wilderness experience. Or a bit of both. I need to look into this in more detail.

In terms of transport it looks like the trail is commonly accessed from Podgorica (Montenegro) which is a three-hour drive from Dubrovnik (Croatia). I’ve not done much research on flights yet, but chances are it’ll be a direct flight such as EasyJet from Gatwick to Dubrovnik (£272 return) or EasyJet from Stansted to Dubrovnik (£300 return), or EasyJet/Jet2 from Manchester to Dubrovnik (£300). Those costs exclude baggage. There are plenty of options as Dubrovnik is a favourite destination of budget airlines.

Other resources:
The official website - http://www.peaksofthebalkans.com/
The Cicerone guide - https://www.cicerone.co.uk/the-peaks-of ... kans-trail
There is a 1:60,000 map too which can be bought off Amazon

Whilst I'm a fair way from booking anything I thought I'd put this out on the forum to see if anyone else interested in joining us.
VickyHiggs

Re: Peaks of the Balkans - Summer 2020

Post by VickyHiggs »

Hi Stewart, I love this part of the world! I have been eyeing up a hiking trip there for a while.

Coincidentally my brother is getting married in Dubrovnik on 14th August 2020. Obviously the wedding has to be my priority, but if it works in terms of dates and logistics I would certainly be keen to join you for at least part of the trip.

Don't feel you have to plan anything around that specific date, but I will keep an eye on the thread and maybe we can make it work!
Jules

Post by Jules »

Hi Stew

This sounds like it has the makings of a really good trip I'd be quite keen. I don't know much about that part of the world but I know there are some amazing places. I'll do some reading up......

Jules
Tom

Post by Tom »

oooh moi j'interesse. Would this be in addition to Skye in May? If so, late August or even September would be good
Tom M
Stew

Post by Stew »

This is in addition to Skye.
slaight

Post by slaight »

This sounds great. Need next years walking challenge and this area of the world looks amazing :)
Sarah :D
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

It is a beautiful trek. I did bits of it a few years ago!
MattKettle

Post by MattKettle »

I’m playing in Montenegro tonight, and on the flight in the hills looked absolutely amazing. So count me in for this please. Hope everybody is good and to see you all soon!
Vic

Post by Vic »

We do need to see you soon Matt as there is still a can of lethal strength stout in our fridge with your name on it. :)
Beth

Post by Beth »

Sounds interesting. I'm a maybe.