Patterdale Meet - 19-21 November

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

NWalker

Re: Patterdale Meet - 19-21 November

Post by NWalker »

If I remember correctly, there are significant carparking challenges at this hut. For those considering camping, there is supposed to be plenty of parking at Gillside. Just saying....
Danielhand24

Post by Danielhand24 »

Right, it says parking for 8 cars on the website.
VickyHiggs

Post by VickyHiggs »

Gillside is where Matt and I are planning to stay in our van. When I messaged them they said they were open for vans but not tents that weekend (not sure why). So bunkhouse might be a better option if there are a few of you.

I did check out nearby hostels (all full) and the other nearby campsite in Patterdale is closed for the year.

Definitely no camping at the hut and yes to car shares - apparently parking is difficult.

There is a pay and display car park in Patterdale, and some free layby spots near the post office for any overspill.
SianH

Post by SianH »

Sign me up, please.
annamairead

Post by annamairead »

I'm gonna need a designated driver please... Have been shortlisted for an essay prize at Kendal Mountain Fest! Saturday 5.15pm, Kendal Brewery Arts Centre. Come join the party https://tickets.kendalmountainfestival. ... ssay-award
Stew

Post by Stew »

I'm happy to designate myself as chef for Saturday night. It'll be a veggie friendly meal (which just makes life so simple). I'm not sure yet what it'll be, but it'll either be a West African Sweet Potato Stew with rice, or my old faithful Afghan Fruit and Chickpea Curry with rice.

Would someone be interested in teaming up with me and doing the rice (I'm crap at rice) and thereby sidestepping the doing dishes?
Beth

Post by Beth »

Stew, I would be happy to do the rice, however I would like to attend Anna's event so may not be back in time to help. Either way I'd like some food, even if it means reheating some a bit later on.
Stew

Post by Stew »

Not a problem Beth, I'll count you out of cooking rice though as I don't think you'll be back by the usual 7:30-8:00pm. Will certainly save you some.
NWalker

Post by NWalker »

I'm booking 3 spaces with Gillside in their bunkhouse. it's a 5min drive/20 min walk away.

so far there's:
me
Julie
Sian

We'll need to take cooking/cutlery stuff as well as the usual sleeping bag/pillow. Hopefully those in the hut will udge up for dinner!
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

Stew! I will help and cook the rice. Can't guarantee the quality but happy to go for it!

Also....I have a sac of rice at home already that I will bring...so no need to buy any!

(And yes please for curry or stew)
Last edited by Ruth on 08 Nov 2021, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
Stew

Post by Stew »

Does anyone have Vijay's other pot? Vic and i still have the biggest one, but it's so big that it occupies all 4 burners on a regular hob. I recall seeing it perhaps at Huw/Beths at halloween for soup?

(I'm thinking it might be good just in case, as this is a big group being catered for)
ZoeB

Post by ZoeB »

We used the big pot for the chilli on bonfire night and Vijay also gave us another one which we used for the rice. I can bring both?
VickyHiggs

Post by VickyHiggs »

Matt and I will eat your curry, thanks for offering to cater for such a mammoth crew! We might have to sit on each other's laps to eat it but I'm sure it will be delicious.
NWalker

Post by NWalker »

I would happily sit wherever there is space and eat your curry, Stew. Sounds delicious.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Yes please for food.