Big Wall Climbing Training

For news etc. on Social Events

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Vicki

Big Wall Climbing Training

Post by Vicki »

As per the email, we've had an offer of some big wall climbing training.

"I’m a West Midlands based independent climbing instructor, writing to let your club members know that I’m running a one day Big Wall Skills course locally, at Creation Climbing Centre in Moseley, Birmingham on the 13th March 2016.

The course is intended for those who have little or no aid climbing or big wall experience but are perhaps thinking of their first trip to a Big Wall location such as Yosemite or Zion, or just want to find out what aid climbing is all about.

The skills learned are also relevant to some Alpine routes where some aid sections are involved.

The course covers -

Setting up your aid kit

Basic Aider use and bounce testing

Lead Aid climbing practice and top stepping

Protecting the Lead and back cleaning

Jumaring Technique

Seconding a Pitch, including following a traverse or pendulum

Basic Hauling setups

If desired, a second day outdoors can be organised to practice the learned skills on the real thing, aiding crack lines on trad gear and trying out hooking and cam hook techniques as well as, time allowing, a go at lowering out the haul bag and hauling.

The cost of the course is £60 per person for the one day indoor course but for local club members I’m offering a £15 discount making this great value at just £45 for your membership.

If there’s enough interest in this course I’ll run additional dates and if the added interest comes from four or more people from the same club, I’ll run the course exclusively for you, at a special rate of just £35 per head on a date to suit.

I would be grateful if you would let your members know about the course offer and look forward to hearing from you.

I also run an outdoor based, one day self rescue course which has been popular with clubs and similar organisations, so if this interests you be sure to let me know."

So far interested I have:
Vijay
Pierce
Stewart
Adam
Pete
Riggers
Naomi
Andy