The Coffin Works Museum

For comments on anything (or one)

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Vicki

The Coffin Works Museum

Post by Vicki »

I know it's nothing mountaineering related but I thought it might be of interest to some people.

You might have seen it on Midlands Today but, if not, a new museum has opened up in the Jewelry Quarter and is a real time capsule. It's an old coffin furniture factory which closed its doors in 1999 leaving everything as it was inside. I've just started volunteering there as a guide and I can honestly say its very interesting and not at all morbid. It's only £5 and if you are a resident of the area (and I know of at least two members who are) you get in for free on Tuesadays if you take along a bill with your address on.

It has been restored and is being run by the Birmingham Conservation Trust who have previously restored buildings such as the Back to Backs. If you can go along and pay the Coffin Works a visit to offer your support then you will be helping to protect and restore other historic buildings in our city. :)

http://www.coffinworks.org/