What has the EU ever done for us?

For comments on anything (or one)

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Mike Hogg

What has the EU ever done for us?

Post by Mike Hogg »

We have an important vote coming up on 23rd June do we stay or leave the European Union.

If you are risk averse you may want to stay in the EU because nobody really knows what life will be like outside the EU.

Please post your comments.

In the meantime have a look at this clip from Monty Python “Life of Brian” I love it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso
Mike van Dog
Huw

Re: What has the EU ever done for us?

Post by Huw »

Ha, excellent. First point - We manage to trade quite well with China, and they're not in our EU bureaucratic fest (I work for Notwork Snail, so I'm familiar with rampant bureaucracy). I love the idea of the EU in moderation, but it's a runaway train that needs slowing down before we become the United States of Europe.
avmaestro

Re: What has the EU ever done for us?

Post by avmaestro »

"Please post your comments"
We were prevented from joining the EEC by General de Gaulle until 1973 by which time the policies of "ever closer union" and support for french farmers were inextricably entrenched, almost always to the disadvantage of the British. We have been trying to "reform" the EU from the inside for 43 years with little effect on the bureaucracy, unaccountability, and wastage. Any suggestion that we can do it now is pie in the sky. I always ask people to name two advantages of being in the EU. Most people can't think of one. We have one opportunity to take back our independence.
Watch where you're putting your feet