Faff Article - Old Gear Review

For comments on anything (or one)

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Fabian

Faff Article - Old Gear Review

Post by Fabian »

Mercians,

I am thinking of writing another article for the faff. I want to write kit reviews for old equipment that people have. It would focus on items of kit that have either really stood the test of time or have survived particularly hard lives.

I would like the article to really to celebrate the inner cheapskate/dirtbag in us all, so I have a strong preference to feature items that are:
-hand-me-downs
-held together with gaffer tape /string
-or clearly recycled or re-purposed
-alternatively items that are pristine due to lack of use, demonstrating the urge we all have to buy things we don't need!

So far I have the following ideas:
1) The millets nylon waterproof my parents bought me in the early nineties, and I still use for mountain biking. (Over the years it has got less and less waterproof but more and more breathable. Still, it keeps the worst of the mud off!)
2) Some cast-iron crampons I inherited from Norman
3) Huw's tent which suffered 3rd degree burns from his motorbike exhaust during its maiden outing. It has essentially been held together with gaffer tape for the past decade or so.

Bonus points will be awarded for value-for-money, dirtbag aesthetic, old-school-cool, and club or family heirloom status.

If you have an old item of kit that you want me to feature, please can you:
1) Briefly describe the item
2) State when it was originally made or purchased. When did you obtain it?
3) Estimate what you think it would have cost?
4) Briefly describe any notable stories/events/ascents

That will probably do for now, but I will probably want a picture of the item for the faff.

Fabian
Louise

Re: Faff Article - Old Gear Review

Post by Louise »

Vics navy blue/purple fleece from New Look. Purchased circa 1995 I believe?! And still going strong.
MattKettle

Post by MattKettle »

My Villa trousers might be worth a mention
Jules

Post by Jules »

Yes, definitely the Villa pants!

I have a retro red climbing helmet which I believe is the envy of the club. Bought circa 2005 and makes me look an awesomely hardcore climber.....
Stew

Post by Stew »

Tom's ice screw that is in his pack or on his harness for every trad climb - even at Stanage. I don't think it has ever seen the white stuff.
Tom

Post by Tom »

That's a heinous slur! I'll have you know it has been placed in anger no less than thrice ;)
Tom M
Stew

Post by Stew »

I suppose I can add my deadman to the list. Bought in Aviemore in 2011, never been placed, in fact I think it's only seen the great outdoors once, it lives in my car the rest of the time.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Huws car. Thats been recycled out of scrap metal more than once.

Also my old orange mountain bike has been around since 1999. Like Huws car it is well past its best. Unlike Huws car, it has now been retired. Thought Huws car was retired, with remoulds.

Adam
Vicki

Post by Vicki »

How could I have forgotten Huw's car? Also, has anyone mentioned the Lou ladder yet?
Stew

Post by Stew »

How about Monster Cam; Adam's pride and joy cam that's the size of a bin lid. Not sure it get's used in anger too much, when it does get placed is probably because the weight of it is distracting the leader who is grateful to off-load it into a crack, even if there's a bomber nut right next to it.
Louise

Post by Louise »

Yes obviously the Lou ladders are never, ever *cough* *ahem* used. Waste of money that 5 euros. Just ask Adam......
slaight

Post by slaight »

I have a pair of mac in a sac waterproof trousers bought by my mother for my bronze d of e for the pricely sum of about £5 in about 2005 that are still going strong! Waterproofness has been questionable from day 1 but they provide mental reassurance when setting out for a days walking that if it rains you are slightly more prepared than you would be without them :)
Sarah :D
Mike Hogg

Post by Mike Hogg »

Many years ago we had a chap in the club who had a small workshop at home and he made a few pieces of gear. I still have one of his nuts made from aluminium scaffold pole threaded with 11mm rope. He thought that if it was subject to a serious fall the nut may collapse so he fitted an aluminium disc inside (note the hole in the disc to cut down on weight). https://goo.gl/photos/1qowABXiuDDUm9JR8

He also experimented with ice axes and crampons but decided that these were well worth the money to buy. I note that Fabian has some old cast iron crampons from Norman (they would not be cast iron) but if they have welds showing they could well have been made in the same workshop you may have the only pair ever made!
Mike van Dog
Alan

Post by Alan »

I remember Norman’s crampons. He produced then from the depths of his rucksack at the foot of an icy slope on Stob Coire Odhair in the Black Mount (near Tyndrum).The rubber protectors on the teeth had been on so long the had glued themselves to the metal. It took me ages to remove them so he could fit the crampons to his boots. Clearly Norman only used his cramponx infrequently Must have been some fifteen years ago on an Easter Meet
Huw

Post by Huw »

The car 'may' actually be unretired in the near future.. The local garage reckon it might get through the MOT if I can find a few parts for it.