New Year Meet: 29th December - 2nd January

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Vicki

Re: New Year Meet: 29th December - 2nd January

Post by Vicki »

Right, can people start signing up for food now as we've had lots of people volunteer to cook?

I've got the food down as follows:

28th - Pauline's mild and fruity curry
VC
JT
BC
PC
MP
SH

29th - Paul's chicken pie
VC (if you can do me a none dairy one)
HD
JT
PR
BC
PC
MP
JM (if no dairy)
SH
CJ
SM

30th - Lynn's fish pie
VC - If it doesn't have dairy in it
HD
JT
PR
BC
PC
MP
JM (if no dairy)
SH
ML
MN

31st - SH, ML and JT (Are you guys still on for that?)
VC - likewise
HD
JT
PR
BC
PC
MP
JM (if no dairy)
SH
CJ
SM
SD
LB
AB
Jen (for any bits which are veggie)
Hamish
AW
ML
MN

1st - Jodie's beef stew or veggie soup depending on whether we can get meat for stew
JM
VC
PR
BC
PC
MP
ML
MN

Paul and Lynn, you have both said you'd rather cook on the 30th so can you fight it out amongst yourselves and decide on who does which day?

If anyone is prepared to do starters or deserts for any of the nights then get your names down. :) I'm going to do some biscuits/cakes for tea times.

Cheers.
Huw

Post by Huw »

Hi, thanks all, can i sign myself up for Riggers, Lynn and Simon/Matt/Julies. I'm not there on the 28th. I volunteer for stoking the fire, i'm good at that. H
Jules

Post by Jules »

Hello

Can I please sign up for all: Paulines, Paul, Lynn and m own contribution on the 31st. I'm leaving on the 1st so whoever cooks then is saved from the extra one.

Menu for the 31st is in progress, details to follow!
Riggers

Post by Riggers »

Can you please sign me up for the meals on the 29th, 30th, 31st and 1st please. This is no snub to Pauline's lovely sounding meal but I won't be there on that night.

I'm sure I can do you a non-dairy version of the chicken pie for Vic since she is so special (aka awkward).
Ham Brian

Post by Ham Brian »

Can you put Pauline and me down for everything going, Vic!

Happy Xmas
Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawks flight in the empty sky.
corbetteer

Post by corbetteer »

Vic, Simon,

Can you put me down for all of the above, please....

I'd be happy to provide some sweets one night - I can't promise they'll be home made as I'm bouncing between Louth, Cambridge & Whitby over Christmas...so something like Black Forest Gateau courtesy of Teresa Cohen's Finest Range?

Murray
8)
It's easy, she's standing right next to you
lazydaizy

Post by lazydaizy »

vic,

can you put me down for food on the 29th, 30th, 31st and the 1st but only if non- dairy.

thank you
jodie x
Simon

Post by Simon »

Chefs, could I please have the curry, chicken pie and fish pie meals.

My main will be Chille Con Carne, availble in two strengths "Winter Warmer" and "Mild as Fairy Liquid", offer is open to all, would be great to get everyone together for a meal on New Years Eve.

:smt028 - Sombreros and tequila optional!

Some points...
  • Sunset in Fort William is currently 15:40, so any decent day out will end in the dark, make sure you have a decent headtorch with new batteries and spare batteries.
  • Right now there is no snow forecast to cause travel problems, but drivers would be well advised to carry a shovel, and maybe a hi-vis jacket, just in case
  • Be prepared for deer to run out across the road in Scotland, particuarly when crossing Ranoch Moor
  • You can get updates on ski conditions here: http://ski.visitscotland.com/conditions/ Current forecast is warm (upto 11 degrees!) and wet - let's hope this is wrong!
  • Any high level walks will need Ice Axes and Crampons, the Ice Factor in Kinlochleven is probably the closest place to the hut to hire http://www.ice-factor.co.uk/base/equipment_hire.html
  • http://www.sais.gov.uk/page_lochaber.asp gives updates on the avalanche conditions, and an indication of what the rain is doing to the snow and ice.
Ham Brian

Post by Ham Brian »

Another point to add to Simon's: sunrise is 09:00, for a long day you have to start before the sun is up!

Put us down for Winter Warmer, please, do you serve it with rice or stick loaf bread?
Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawks flight in the empty sky.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Just to add there is no key for this hut, there is a door code - see your email.

For those arriving on Wed 28th, please note there will be other guests in the hut that night, so would be a good idea if the Mercians group together in a few rooms, unless you want to share a bed with randoms (I guess the chance of the other 8 being members of the Stockholm ladies mountaineering club are pretty slim)
Vicki

Post by Vicki »

You never know Simon, your Christmas wish might be granted. Is it worth removing the code from the forum though and sending it out via email instead or can we set a new code when we get there? I'd imagine the chances of any prospective burglars reading this is very slim but you never know.
the jackal

Post by the jackal »

Hey

Can you sign Sarah and I up for the chicken pie and the chilli please (already sent Lynn an email for fish pie)

All sounds good

cheers
Jules

Post by Jules »

In line with the Mexican theme, the starter for 31 Jan will be nachos. Non dairy option is scraping the cheese off, erm, I mean, non dairy cheese will be available.

Dessert menu will be confirmed, most likely is the lesser known delight 'Mexican surprise'.
corbetteer

Post by corbetteer »

I thought I had responded last night to this ...I pressed submit but the message seems to have disappeared somewhere...

Can you put me down for all of the above (I've responded to Lynn by email).

I could bring along a sweet if required ....any night....though it might be in the Teresa Cohen Finest category if that's ok...something like Black Forest Gateau

Murray :-)
It's easy, she's standing right next to you
Ham Brian

Post by Ham Brian »

As table space is in short supply will it help if I bring a camping table and some folding chairs? I can't remember how much space there is but if it will fit we can seat four more.

I hope the hotel bar just down the road is as good as it used to be! :drinkers: