Bank Holiday Camping: 4-7th May

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Simon

Re: Bank Holiday Camping: 4-7th May

Post by Simon »

Right I've booked, Huw you were too late, but I don't suppose 1 extra will cause a problem.

The big tent is £20/night, so I've only got it for sat and sun night as I assumed people won't arrive till late on Friday.

Huw, are you bring your bike? I'm up for some riding at coed-y-brenin. Think will and Kate are bringing theirs too.
the jackal

Post by the jackal »

Vic

Have faith it could be dry!

Bikers, take your Bikes as we have come up with a way of making Polo available to the commoners, plus there is a wealth of biking in the area and it doesn't matter what the weather is doing :D :D
Vicki

Post by Vicki »

Oh dear, sounds like I'd better go out and buy some shin pads. Please tell me you haven't located some croquet mallets.
Mike Hogg

Post by Mike Hogg »

Just to remind you that a BBQ should never be lit in a tent or enclosed area Cardon Monoxide is produced. see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-14713397
Mike van Dog
Tom

Post by Tom »

Not to worry, I was barbecuing in the pissin rain last weekend no problems. Its one of the finest traditions of British summer! On that note, I'm going to do a meat run to the bullring market on friday, how many people are in on the BBQ and does anyone have any special requests (Vicki, I'm way ahead of you on the prawn skewers)
Tom M
Vicki

Post by Vicki »

Prawn skewers all the way. :)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Sod Bala, we should be going to Scotland....

http://www.winterhighland.info/touring/ ... hp?50,3006
Vicki

Post by Vicki »

I know! They've been having so much snow up there again. :(
Ham Brian

Post by Ham Brian »

A friend in Tomintoul says that it is horrible wet stuff but the last few days have been really fine. Pity I don't like Bala, its usually full to bursting with yachties, wind surfers and cyclists, not a place for a sensible hill walker!
Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawks flight in the empty sky.
Vicki

Post by Vicki »

Erm, might be being a pessimistic here but has anyone thought to phone the campsite to check they will actually be open? I can't help but notice they have a large stretch of river running through the campsite and given all the rain we've had that might now be taking up our pitches. A girl at work is waiting to hear on her campsite in Bishops Castle as it's currently closed due to the river there having flooded it so it will probably be worth our checking before we all traipse up there on Friday.

Doesn't look like it's going to be worth taking climbing gear unfortunately as even if it doesn't rain on the day the rock won't have had a chance to dry out. :( Looks like you guys are going to have to put up with me biking instead.
Tom

Post by Tom »

sounds like I'll be spending the weekend in the pub then. There have been worse fates....
Tom M
Vicki

Post by Vicki »

yeah another wet bank holiday weekend drinking beer and playing bunny. It's just like Appletreewick all over again. Now, does anyone know where the nearest leisure centre is? :) I'll stick my bikini in. :)
the jackal

Post by the jackal »

I looked on Metcheck and the rest of the week looked dry, along with the weekend, however the evening temperatures were below 0!
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Pack the gear - Even if the rock is too damp for climbing there's plenty of great scrambling/easy climbing mountain routes that aren't too far away; Cneifion Arete, Amphitheatre Buttress, etc. Admittedly, it could all turn into a bit of an Epic.
Huw

Post by Huw »

Hang on, you said to let you know on thur! It shouldn't be too busy given the few spots of rain though i should imagine.

I'm def bringing the bike, though i don't fancy coed y brenin, i'd be up for penmachno or climax or something.

I'll bring up my biggish bbq up btw.