August Bank Holiday Meet ???

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Alan

August Bank Holiday Meet ???

Post by Alan »

Mercians,

Is there enough interest in an August Bank Holiday Meet from Friday 24th August until Monday 27th August? To be held at Annettes Place, Fron Goch near Dolwydellan in North Wales. For those who don't know it's the place where a for a few years recently we held a number of successful May Day weekends.

There are 9 beds available in the cottage at a cost of £50 for three nights but we need to fill all those places in order to make the weekend pay its way. The Club has to pay out £440 if we want it. Camping may be available if we fill all the Cootage places first.

If you're interested please resond quickly so we can get it booked either on the forum or by e-mail to me

Alan :D
Simon

Re: August Bank Holiday Meet ???

Post by Simon »

Alan, Mercians,

Given that it *should* be quite nice weather (or at least has a reasonable chance of being) that weekend, I think my preference would be to have a camping meet.

Open to suggestions as to where, but how about Dorset?

Simon
corbetteer

Post by corbetteer »

4 of us, Duncan, me, Mirek (past member from Prague), Alan (past member from Warwick) have just had 4 days camping down at Porlock over the Jubilee w/end.....Somerset / Devon border...great campsite....Sparkhayes at just £7 / night....all facilities....Nearest pub / food ...Royal Oak about 150 yards....not sure what the climbing (if any) is like in the area ...might be worth considering though...

Murray
It's easy, she's standing right next to you
Mike Hogg

Post by Mike Hogg »

We have to cover the £440 cost of hiring the accommodation this could be done by just camping i.e. 21 campers at £21 for 3 night = £441.

If some people wanted to stay in the self-catering accommodation suggest they pay £45 for 3 nights.

Not sure we would get 21 people camping but a mix of say 10 campers (£210) and 6 in self-catering accommodation (£270) would cover the minimum cost.

I would camp on this weekend with Star since dogs are not allowed in the accommodation.

Suggest members sign up now for this meet (miniumum charge would be for 3 nights) to help the committee make a decision it is your money they are spending.
Mike van Dog
Rab

Post by Rab »

Myself and jimbo would like to go on this meet, but we would also like to camp.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Mike - nice idea, however a word of caution... from past experience we normally get charged for all campers in addition to the cottage accomadation. I would check this before making a booking.
Mike Hogg

Post by Mike Hogg »

Matt

This is not normally a campsite it is a past members property and they allow the Mercian's to camp. The campers have to use the toilets in the self-catering accommodation so we have to book the house. However if we only have people wanting to camp this is an expensive option.

There is a campsite at Waunfawr see http://www.snowdonia-park.co.uk/index.html costs are £18 per night for 2 people in a tent or van or £10 for a one man tent. Oh just realised that there is a pub and micro brewery on site :wink:
Mike van Dog
Mike Hogg

Post by Mike Hogg »

Fron Goch is no longer available for August bank holiday. It has been booked by another party. :(
Mike van Dog