New Year Meet

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

the jackal

New Year Meet

Post by the jackal »

This year the New Year meet is in the Lake District

Most of you should be aware of the outdoor options available, however there is mountain biking, both single track and forest trails on the doorstep, the endless possibilities of the Langdale valley just up the road for climbing and walking as well as scrambling. An abundance of gear shops in Ambleside as well two inns serving food and local ales. And if all that doesn't tickle your fancy find a good book settle in front of the fire.

We may even get some snow for some proper mountaineering or even just some sledging!

Dates 28th December 12 to 1st January 2013

The hut offers a large common room with wood burning stove, a well equipped kitchen as well as the usual refinements. The cost is £60/head for the four nights

Link to the website
http://www.rookhowcentre.co.uk/

Booking for this meet will operate slightly different to normal, bookings will be taken from THURSDAY 29th November onwards (and not before), to secure your place on this meet, you will need to PAY A DEPOSIT OF £20. Matt/ Huw will be in the Wagon and Horses from 10pm onwards on Thursday.
If you're interested in this meet don't delay as the number of places are limited and it’s likely to get booked up very quickly.

CJ
the jackal

Re: New Year Meet

Post by the jackal »

Happy to do food if I get a place

Any body interested in sorting some Fireworks?

What about a BBQ for New years eve? :D
Vicki

Post by Vicki »

I'll also happily do food if I get in. Probably best not to get me to go fireworks shopping though as I'd just buy thousands of sparkles to do my light writing with. :)
Huw

Post by Huw »

I'm def up for fireworks, sounds great.

People signed up so far:

1 Vijay
2 CJ
3 Sarah
4 Matt
5 Steve N
6 Adam
7 Louise
8 Vicki
9 Julie
10 Huw
11 Sascha
12 Anna
13 Chris B
14 Simon D

Plus Sandy and friend camping/staying on NYE

A good sized crowd, looking forward. So 6 spare spaces available, £20 deposit to sign up, and the spaces are available to any adventurous non member friends now the thursday sign up has passed.

I'd like to propose a veto on any formal games on new years eve, the fireworks and bbq idea sounds like the ticket! I can bring my big bbq.
Fingers crossed for snow!

Cheers
Huw
Vicki

Post by Vicki »

How about informal games? :(
Huw

Post by Huw »

Informal games are ok, as long as they're optional.. and no quizes :)
Welsh Git

Post by Welsh Git »

I've got a quiz question for Huw... How do you spell quizzes?
If you're going to be dumb, you'd better be tough...
Huw

Post by Huw »

I don't know, but i'm pretty sure 'smartarse' is spelt like that! I spell quizes wrong deliberately, to annoy quizzey people. :)
Louise

Post by Louise »

Hi all

I don't have an ice axe or crampons. Does anyone have a spare(s) i could borrow for new year?! Pretty please.

Lou :)
the jackal

Post by the jackal »

That's providing there is snow!
Louise

Post by Louise »

I know but thought I'd see what's out there before I part (or think about parting) with my hard earned cash ;)
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

Louise

You can borrow mine if that would help. My crampons are C2s, what rating are your boots?
Only caveat I'm afraid is that you'd need to collect them this week or I could potentially route them via Adam.

Let me know
Mike
Louise

Post by Louise »

Thanks mike. :)) Will find out and get back to you.
Louise

Post by Louise »

Could you pass them to Adam sometime this week please mike? Not sure my crappy boots have any rating at all but I can try them out and see if it's doable. Thanks!
Ham Brian

Post by Ham Brian »

We don't intend going out over the New Year, so I have a couple of walking axes available if anybody wants to borrow them. Well, the shorter one has been on Scottish ice at grade IV but would be considered hopelessly old fashioned for climbing nowadays!
Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawks flight in the empty sky.