Sat 5th April, climbing in the Peaks

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

kudos

Sat 5th April, climbing in the Peaks

Post by kudos »

***********************UPDATE************************

Hi all,

Due to the poor forecast for North Wales this weekend, we are changing the plan.

This is now a day meet, taking place on Saturday only. And we are heading to the Peak District, more specifically Stanage (TBC) to climb.

There are currently 7 people and 2 cars heading that way, aiming to arrive in the Peaks around 10:30.

If anyone else is interested in coming then get in touch.

Laters,

Karl

*************************END OF UPDATE******************************

Dear Mercians,

A last minute meet has been organised for the weekend of 5th and 6th April.

Provisionally this will take place at Tremadog, in North Wales. This is a fantastic climbing venue, offering many classic routes, all multi-pitch, yet only 10 meters walk from the road. If you haven't done much climbing outside, then this place will really open your eyes.

Yep, that's how close the road is!

The bunkhouse opposite Eric's Cafe (http://www.ericjones-tremadog.co.uk/) provides basic yet water-tight accommodation that does not have to be booked in advance, and will kind of get us in the mood for camping later in the year. Bring a decent sleeping bag as the place is a bit airy, and your camping stove since there isn't a kitchen. The price will be £7.50, which is pretty good given its location - you could theoretically belay from you bed, although I wouldn't like to try it.

When you energy level wanes, head over the road, and be served beans on toast by a true climbing and BASE jumping legend, Eric Jones.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Jones_(climber)

And don't think this meet is exclusively for climbers. Tremadog is on the quieter side of Snowdonia, and the lesser known gems of the Nantle Ridge, the Rhinogs and Cnicht. If you don't of these then why not try them out, you won't be disappointed.

Now I have said provisionally, because if the forecast is for a downpour in North Wales, but baking sunshine in the Peaks, then we might decide to change the plan. But if this was the case, then the accommodation would be camping, as I don't know of any bunkhouses in the Peaks or Yorkshire.

If there is sufficient interest then I could book us the exclusive use of the side barn, which gives us a little more privacy and does include a kitchen, but then it would be £9.50 pppn.

Let me know if you are interested, why wouldn't you be?

Laters,

Karl
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
kudos

Re: IMPROV-MEET - 5th/6th April, Tremadog, North Wales

Post by kudos »

ATTENDEES

Eric Jones
Karl
Vic
Stewart
Louise
Matt K
Joe
Adam
Beth
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
Stew

Post by Stew »

Vic and I are up for it. Bring it on!
Louise

Post by Louise »

Weather permitting I'd be up for this meet too.
MattKettle

Post by MattKettle »

I am up for this. Is it possible for me to get a lift with somebody please?
kudos

Post by kudos »

I have transport and can take two other plus as much stuff they own.

However, it's not the most ecomonical vehicle, being shaped like a brick (although nothing silly), so I would consider a lift also.

K
adhughes

Post by adhughes »

Definitely up for this, it'll be my first meet so is there anything in particular I should make sure I bring along with me?
Vicki

Post by Vicki »

It will depend on what accommodation we go for depending on whether you just need stuff for a hut or for camping/camping barn. Either way you'll need your sleeping bag, food and your climbing gear. There did used to be a suggested kit list on the website under 'first meet', or some such, but I'm not sure if that migrated to the new website.
Beth

Post by Beth »

Weather isn't looking great for Tremadog...rain forecast for Saturday and Sunday. Peaks/Staffordshire area is looking better for the Saturday at least!
adhughes

Post by adhughes »

ah yes, found the list, cheers
Jules

Post by Jules »

Karl

I know originally I said I might be up for this meet but due to several, all very unexciting reasons I'm going to be a big flakester, sorry!
Beth

Post by Beth »

Unless the forecast changes I'm probably gonna give this one a miss...
Louise

Post by Louise »

Starting to think the same Beth!