Pembrokeshire, May Day Bank Holiday (2/3/4 May)

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

kudos

Pembrokeshire, May Day Bank Holiday (2/3/4 May)

Post by kudos »

Dear Mercians,

Spring has well and truely sprung, and it is with great pleasure that I can now announce the first camping meet of the year.

Over the May bank holiday, the club will be visiting the stupendous coast that is Pembrokeshire.

Activities on offer..........where do I start?

CLIMBING - According to UKC, within 3 miles of St Davids there are 31 crags and over 500 climbs. Within 10 miles of Pembroke town there are 115 crags, and I'm not even gonna try to count how many climbs. The majority of this climbing is located on sea cliffs, offering an amazing perspective and allowing a dip in the ocean after (or is you miss-time the tides, during) your climb.

WALKING - The Pembrokeshire Coast path is nearly 300km, so long that not even Matt Kettle could complete it over the long weekend! It takes in bays, beaches, cliffs and crags, and I'm sure there is an ice cream in there along the way. The biggest difficulty is deciding which bit to walk.

SURFING - Pembrokeshire picks up the same swell that blesses Cornwall, but escapes the crowds and incestuous behaviour of 'pasty-land'! Boards and wetsuits can be hired at most beaches, with instruction on offer for those yet to master the 'Hang Ten'.

KAYAKING - With so many nooks and crannies, the only way to truely explore the Pembrokeshire coast is from a kayak. As the tide rises small inlets become accessible, and as it falls, spooky caves rise from the water.

COASTEERING - This is where you don a wetsuit, boyancy aid and helmet, and explore the narrow region where the land stop and the sea starts. It's great fun, and the coast of Pembrokshire is just made for it!

I could go on, but you've probably stopped reading by now.

We will be staying at a camp site located right on the coast, at Porthclais. It's a fantastic location, with the nearest climbs maybe 20 seconds walk from the bottom field. It's only 1km from St Davids, from where it's only a 6 minute drive to Whitesands Bay (for the surfing). The campsite is charging £7 pppn, which you will pay directly to them when you arrive. BTW, this is the campsite we stayed at over the August Bank Holiday, back in 2012, if any of you were on that meet.
http://porthclais-farm-campsite.co.uk/

Okay, so now that you've decided to come, all you need to do is email me to add you to the list.

On your marks.........get set..............go!

K
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
kudos

ATTENDEES

Post by kudos »

I've got the following people down for this meet:

Katherine ZJ
KS
HS
JL
RB
BT
P?
F?
JN
GP
RC
AB
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
Rab

Re: NEXT MEET - Pembrokeshire, May Day Bank Holiday (2/3/4 M

Post by Rab »

Can you put myself and jim down for this meet please
mrbenthompson

Post by mrbenthompson »

I have been waiting for this. Please add me to the list and I look forward to catching up with you guys x
"Ow, I like it!"
Pierce

Post by Pierce »

Can you please mark Fran and I down for this trip.
We have space in the car for one more if anyone requires a lift, thanks.
Pierce
grahamp

Post by grahamp »

Please could you include myself and Joe Norris on the list. Thanks.
RolandNClarke

Post by RolandNClarke »

Dear Karl,

Please put my name down for this meet.
I plan to set off after lunch on Friday.

Roland
Roland Clarke
RolandNClarke@aol.com
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Karl

Sign me up please.

Adam
kudos

Re: Pembrokeshire, May Day Bank Holiday (2/3/4 May)

Post by kudos »

What a top weekend.

Two great days of sea cliff climbing, with lots getting done. We climbed at 5 different venues, with grades ranging from VDiff to HVS (in my book!), lots of starred routes. The wind proved not to be a problem, and the sun even came out quite a bit. Monday saw most people start to depart, whilst a team of 4 stayed on to do a 9 miles walk along the north coast in strengthening wind. I even managed to get a quick surf in before the drive home.

Looking forward to more meets like that one!

K