28/29th June - Choice of venues

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

kudos

28/29th June - Choice of venues

Post by kudos »

Fellow Mercians,

The next meet is due to take place over the weekend of 28th and 29th June.

This is a camping meet, but a venue has yet to be decided, and I am opening this up to the club members to make some suggestions, since it is the attendees that 'make' the meet.

Vicki has made a suggestion about going to the climbing festival in North Wales.

Or we could visit a less frequented part of the country that has both fine walking and good climbing.

I have a few ideas about the other camping meets later in the summer, but for this one I'm totally open.

Humbly yours,

Karlos
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
mrbenthompson

Post by mrbenthompson »

!! :arrow:
Last edited by mrbenthompson on 25 Jun 2014, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
"Ow, I like it!"
kudos

Re: NEXT CAMPING MEET - 28/29th June - Choice of venues

Post by kudos »

A trip to Portland and Swanage was one of the ideas I had for later in the summer, since we've had coastal climing in Pembrokeshire and Devon recently.

But then the last two Mercian weekends (one official, one improvised) were in North Wales, so guess we are going to repeat something either way.

I'm unable to attend this meet, so I can't argue one way or anther, I can only hope to steer things slightly.

It's still a while off, and nothing would ever be booked, so it might come down to what the weather looks like doing.

But comments still welcome.

Karl
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
mrbenthompson

Post by mrbenthompson »

I am grounded this weekend
Last edited by mrbenthompson on 25 Jun 2014, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.
"Ow, I like it!"
avmaestro

Post by avmaestro »

Real mountaineers will be at the Griffin Beer Festival this weekend. 100+ real ales, live bands, free camping.

The Griffin Inn, Shustoke
Overall Warwickshire Pub of the Year 2014
Watch where you're putting your feet
Ham Brian

Post by Ham Brian »

Just a suggestion for some time in the future: There is a nice little campsite on the B4228 between Milkwall and Sling on the edge of the Forest of Dean, it is halfway between Wintours Leap and Symonds Yat, has a nice pub with food in easy walking distance and there are a number of quarries in the Forest to explore - plus a bad weather option, the Clearwell Caves (partly natural, partly mined for iron ore) and Puzzle Wood, a complex de-roofed cave system.

Brian
Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawks flight in the empty sky.
Pierce

Post by Pierce »

I was looking to head to Wintour's Leap for the Sunday (as I have a wedding to go to on the Saturday) if anyone fancies that suggestion?
Pierce