Southern Snowdonia, 9th-10th August

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

kudos

Southern Snowdonia, 9th-10th August

Post by kudos »

Dear all,

The next camping meet will be taking place this coming weekend, the 9th and 10th on August in Southern Snowdonia.

We will be staying at Torrent Walk campsite, just outside Dolgellau. This is a decent sized campsite, which allows both fires and dogs (although flaming dogs are strictly forbidden). I spoke to them today and they have plenty of space, but it is the school holiday and conceivable that they will fill up. I leave it totally up to you if you wish to contact them to make a booking. The fees are £7 pppn, which includes hot showers.

http://www.coolcamping.co.uk/campsites/ ... rrent-walk

Based close to Dolgellau, this meet gives us a chance to visit the quieter side of Snowdonia, with Cader Idris and the Rhinogs to be explored, and close enough to Tremadog for the rock jocks. And for those who like mountain biking, Coed Y Brenin is even closer.

Although booking a space is up to you, it is useful to know what sort of numbers are to be expected (to prep the owner and encourage others to attend), so please voice your interest below.

That is all,

Karl
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
Ham Brian

Re: NEXT MEET - Southern Snowdonia, 9th-10th August

Post by Ham Brian »

Better late than never! Pauline and I will attend, depending on the weather forcast and if the site accepts dogs.

By the way, There is good rock climbing on Cader (Cyfrwy) and Bird Rock, also some minor crags in the Rhinogs, and for the masochists Cwm Cowarch isn't too far away!

Brian
Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawks flight in the empty sky.
Ham Brian

Post by Ham Brian »

Er, was it something I said, guys? :D

Anyway, Pauline and I will definately go, even though it looks like we will be the only ones there!

Cheers

Brian
Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawks flight in the empty sky.
kudos

Post by kudos »

Hey Brian,

Don't take it personally, it's just an odd time of year. There are a load of normally keen Mercians driving down through France on their way to the Ecrins. And things normally slow up a bit in the mid summer. The uncertainty wrt to the weather doesn't help.

Shame though, not loads of summer weekends left.

Hope the camp site is good. It looked a bit formal, but ticked all of the boxes - the other contender boasted toilets only two minutes DRIVE away!

Have a good one.

Karl
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
Ham Brian

Post by Ham Brian »

Nah, just joking. I'm gambling that Bertha will not track anywhere near Wales, hope so because I want to activate Cader!

Will report on the campsite next week.

Brian
Ham Brian

Post by Ham Brian »

Just a note that the campsite is great, besides the manicured bit with hook-ups shown on the web there are two free and easy overspill fields, and you can even have campfires.

I activated Foel Offrwm for SOTA. Where's that? Shows you that SOTA takes you to places off the beaten track! A 1300-foot summit a few miles NE of Dolgellau that is so rarely done that it hasn't even got footpaths even though it is adjacent to the carpark for the Precipice Walk!

Brian
kudos

Post by kudos »

Thanks for the report Brian.

Glad the camp site was good. Didn't like the look of the regulated pitches, so glad to hear they have a more relaxed area.

Did you experience Bertha then, as lots of other places appeared to?

Karl
Ham Brian

Post by Ham Brian »

Probably not, Karl, it drizzled all Saturday night, then a cold front came over on Sunday lunch time to brighten things up, followed by thunderstorms in the afternoon, but the wind directions suggest that the source was a depression to the west and Bertha was rampaging to the east. Anyway, three fine days and one poor day puts us ahead of the odds for Snowdonia!

Brian