August Bank Holiday Meet

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

kudos

August Bank Holiday Meet

Post by kudos »

Fellow adventurers,

I am very pleased to announce that the next Mercian Mountaineering Club meet will be taking place in the North York Moors, this August Bank Holiday (Friday 22nd to Monday 25th).

Seldom visited by the club (in fact never as far as I'm aware), and too far for a day trip, the North York Moors should prove a refreshing venue. With the Coast to Coast and Cleveland Way long distance paths crossing this often overlooked National Park, the walking on offer is sure to be of a high standard. And climbing, well there are 31 crags within 5 miles of our basecamp, featuring over 500 climbs on (hard) Sandstone.

We will be camping at Park Farm Kildale (http://www.kildalebarn.co.uk/index.html). This is on a working farm, and facilities are on the more basic side. But they have the advantage of allowing tents (only), dogs, and a generally relaxed attitude to booking. And unlike most camp sites over the August Bank Holiday, they don't hike their prices or ask for a minimum stay. It's only £5pppn. Reviews can be found here: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/revie ... revid=5524

Unfortunately the farm doesn't allow fires (National Park and all), but I would suggest folk bring BBQ gear - it may be our last chance.

The journey time is about 3 hours from Birmingham, but watch out for heavy traffic (unavoidable on that weekend I'm afraid) on the M42/M1 if leaving during peak hours.

As I said, booking are not required. But out of courtesy I said I'd let the owners have an idea of the numbers, so please express your interest on the forum below.

This will be our last camping meet of the year, so let's make it a good one.

Hope to see you there.

Karlos
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
kudos

Attending

Post by kudos »

So Harriet and I hope to attend for at least part of the weekend, or all of it if we get our preparations for Peru finished in time.

K
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
Ham Brian

Re: AUGUST BANK HOLIDAY MEET

Post by Ham Brian »

Unfortunately doesn't look as if we can make it. Pity, nice area. The club had an organised bash at the Lyke Wake Walk in 1977, much of the moors were still ashes then from the fires that accompanied the drought of 1976. I shall never forget the blisters...!

Brian
Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawks flight in the empty sky.
ChloeR

Post by ChloeR »

Hi Karl,
I'd like to come along please, haven't made it to a meet for a good long while!
Thanks
Chloe
kudos

Post by kudos »

Dear all,

I now understand thta Chloe will not be attendeding.

Also, Harriet and I are unlikely to be able to attend.

So that puts the current expected turn out at zero.

This meet will still go ahead just in case there is a sudden rush at the last minute.

K