8/9th November - Dinas Mawddwy, Snowdonia

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

kudos

8/9th November - Dinas Mawddwy, Snowdonia

Post by kudos »

Dearest members,

I am very pleased to officially announce that the next Mercian Mountaineering Club meet will take place over the weekend of 8th and 9th of November at Dinas Mawddwy in southern Snowdonia.

The Bryn Hafod hut is located in a beautifully secluded valley in an often overlooked part of Snowdonia.

As you would expect from all our meets, the hut is very comfortable, just check out this fireplace......

So what's nearby? Well probably a load of hills that you've never visited before. Think you've 'done' Snowdonia?! Not unless you've scrambled up Craig Cau on the way up to Cadir Idris, the biggest hill in these here parts. The classic Cyfrwy Arete (VDiff) ascents the north side of Cadir, complete with it's own Highlander style table top.
Ever heard of the Rhinogs? Well this distinctive pair of hills are down this way too, and they are gems. And if you don't want to drive, then the Arrans can be accessed directly from the hut.
Prefer two wheels to two feet? Well the mountain bike trails at Coed-y-Brenin are only a short drive away, if you are that way inclined.
You could even go get an ice in Barmouth if the weather stays warm.

Cadir Idris

All in all, it's a great part of Snowdonia and it's a shame if you've never been there. So maybe it's time to change that.

One great thing about the hut is its isolation (yes, that's a good thing). Not only is it a ten minute drive up a winding valley to get to the parking, it's then a good five minutes on foot (shock horror) across a farm yard to the hut itself - if it's been raining then wellies might be a good idea, you wouldn't want to fill your boots! Popping out to the pub isn't especially convenient - much better to hang out at the hut and have a party!

Here is a link to directions to the hut. Make sure you know these, as getting lost on a Friday night isn't fun, especially when you don't have phone reception.
http://www.themountainclub.org.uk/wp-co ... od-Map.pdf

We currently have 12 places booked, but this can be increased to 18 ( I have a feeling I'll need to), but I would need to know ASAP. The price will be £12pppn.

As with all meets, please email the Meets Sec or post on this thread if you would like to attend. Priority will be given to those who have a birthday at any point over the weekend.

Thank you for your patience,

Karl
MMC Meets Sec

P.S. If anyone is interested, right outside the hut is Craig Cywarch, which contains the Classic Rock route Will-o'-the-Wisp, a rare tick if anyone fancies joining me.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
kudos

ATTENDEES

Post by kudos »

Anyone wishing to attend should email the Meets Secretary or post a reply below. I currently have the following names:

LOU
Karl
Tom M
Huw
Jules
Pete
Fabian
Geoff
Joel
Pierce
Fran
Beth
Adam
Anna (nm)
Ned (nm)
Tom G (om)
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
Louise

Re: NEXT MEET - 8/9th November - Dinas Mawddwy, Snowdonia

Post by Louise »

Karl

Priority place please. :)

Lou
PeterN

Post by PeterN »

Hi Karl,

could you sign me up please,
cheers,
pete
joel

Post by joel »

Sounds good

:)
Pierce

Post by Pierce »

Please mark Fran & I down for this trip, thanks. :-)
Pierce
Pierce

Post by Pierce »

Yep Will-o'-the-Wisp sounds like a plan or if the weather is behaving itself how about Doom....
P
Beth

Post by Beth »

As you know, I'd like to go please.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Now then. Sign me up please.

Willow the wisp was my plan too.

Adam
kudos

Post by kudos »

Message for Joel. Does that mean you want to come? Or just that it sounds good?
Welsh Git

Post by Welsh Git »

How's the extra spacesI looking? feel it's about time I emerged from hibernation...

Tom
If you're going to be dumb, you'd better be tough...
joel

Post by joel »

Yes please,

sorry i should have elaborated on that. :s

Cheers
kudos

Post by kudos »

joel wrote:Yes please
God, this is like pulling teeth!

Yes please you want to come, or yes please that sounds good? Admittedly that latter statement doesn't make much sense, but hey, I'm trying to be difficult!

K
mrbenthompson

Post by mrbenthompson »

I miss you guys. I look forward to getting out with you when I can. Have fun :)
"Ow, I like it!"
joel

Post by joel »

Yes put me on the list of attendees please :)