NEXT MEET - 29/30th November - Coppermines Valley, Lakes

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

kudos

NEXT MEET - 29/30th November - Coppermines Valley, Lakes

Post by kudos »

Fellow Mercians,

It is with a solemn heart that I announce the last meet of the year (don't cry, there are plenty more next year).

Over the weekend of 29th and 30th November, the club will be staying at the Coppermines Cottage above Coniston in the Lake District.

Located up a rough track along the Coppermines Valley, this is one of those 'get away from it all' huts. It's a comfortable hut, split over two levels, with the lounge (log burner) and sleeping (alpine style) upstairs, whilst the kitchen (another log burner) and toilets/showers/drying room are downstairs. The club has stayed here several times for NY, and it's always been a hoot.

So what can you do from the hut? Well, you're perfectly placed for a circular walk taking in Wetherlam, Swirl How and The Old Man of Coniston, exploring the old mine workings on your way down. Or, turning right in stead of left at the Prison Band, you can drop down to the Honister Pass, walking back at low level via Little Langdale.

Prefer something a little steeper? Well, I've got two words for you - Dow Crag. Maybe an hour of easy walking from the hut brings you to Goats Water, a sub zero tarn beneath this multi-butressed gem. A variety of easy 100m+ scrambling routes make their way up this crag. If the weather allows, there are plenty of classic Mods and VDiffs to go at. Helmets and harness, and your best scree climbing shoes (for the first bit) essential.

Or for a more sedate excursion, boats are available for rent down on Coniston Water - just don't try to impersonate Donald Campbell (an interesting read at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Campbell).

We have all 16 places at the hut for this weekend, so if you would like to attend then please reply to this email or post on the forum. As always, fully paid up members will have priority, so make sure you come along to the AGM next Thursday (27th) with your subs. The price fo the meet is £10pppn.

As seems to be tradition, this isn't the easiest of huts to find if you haven't been here before. Coming from Ambleside, once in Coniston take the first right after the Co-op (on the right) immediately before the Black Bull. Follow this narrow lane for a hundred or so meters, at which point it narrows further, starts to twist, and goes up hill at an alarming rate. When the tarmac gives way to a rough rock track, KEEP THE FAITH, this is the way, honest. The steep section doesn't last very long, soon levelling out (but remaining a bit rough) as the Coppermines Valley opens up (not sure why I'm telling you this since you'll be arriving in the dark). Ignore (the big drop to the river on the left, and) the terraced cottages on the right half way along, and keep going until the track splits at two buildings. The one on the left is the YHA (brown signed from the main road), we are in the one on the right. Please park sensibly in the parking area nearby.
Seriously, this track to the hut is perfectly navigable in any road worth car with a confident driver - it's just that the first time it can be a bit scary. And if you are going to load up your car with people and gear, it would be wise to use a large car.

Lets' make the last meet of the year a good one.

Au revoir,

Karl
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
kudos

ATTENDEES

Post by kudos »

Steve
Roland
Stew
Tom
Jules
Beth
Duncan
Joel -NM
Pierce
Fran
Emma M
Tom M
Malc
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
RolandNClarke

Re: NEXT MEET - 29/30th November - Coppermines Valley, Lakes

Post by RolandNClarke »

Dear Karl,

Please add my name to the list.

Roland
Roland Clarke
RolandNClarke@aol.com
Stew

Post by Stew »

I shall attend.
Tom

Post by Tom »

sign me up please
Tom M
Jules

Post by Jules »

I'm in too please
Rab

Post by Rab »

Karl
could you add me an jim to this meet please, he said he emailed you.
thanx
Beth

Post by Beth »

Hey Karl, could you put my name down please. Ta.
joel

Post by joel »

Howdy,

Can I request to be placed on the list of attendees please, :)
Pierce

Post by Pierce »

Hi there, can you please mark Fran and I down for trip, thanks.
Pierce
Pierce

Post by Pierce »

GPS position for the Hut; I believe. :-)
54.377915, -3.096109
Pierce

Post by Pierce »

GPS position for the Hut; I believe. :-)
54.377915, -3.096109

Also I believe we need to supply our own Coal?
RolandNClarke

Post by RolandNClarke »

Dear Pierce,

That is the wrong building. The hut location is N54.37790, W3.09478 or in OSGR SD28980 98607

Roland
Roland Clarke
RolandNClarke@aol.com
Tom

Post by Tom »

the hut's actually fine to find, up the track next to the black bull and follow your nose.

Also, I'll cook. Anybody up for Tom Surprise (ingredients TBD)
Tom M
Pierce

Post by Pierce »

Thanks for the correction Rolland. :-)

Please mark Fran & I down for Tom's Grub, Ta. :-)