Porthclais, Pembrokeshire - 25-28 May

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Stew

Re: Porthclais, Pembrokeshire - 25-28 May

Post by Stew »

I'd like to clarify what happened with regards to the this meet from my perspective.

I spoke to Adam on Thursday night about the deteriorating forecast in Pembroke, and we agreed to see what the forecast was like mid morning on Friday.

With a poor forecast for Pembroke at mid morning on Friday there was a discussion via whatsapp to get a quick consensus on what people thought. An effort was made to get as many people added to add to the group as possible. It is incorrect that that discussion took place on whatsapp and not on the forum is a fair comment that has been made by a couple of people and I agree. It will not happen again. However, with a poor forecast in Pembroke and a very good forecast in the Lakes Adam and I, and a majority of committee members, agreed that we should move the meet. This was posted on the forum at 4:22pm (don't be fooled by the timing logged as 3:22pm, it is not on British summer time, or something like that).

Whilst that is late notice we did notify people via the forum and people can then make a decision regarding what they want to do. The majority of members depart for meets after 6pm. It is rare, but not unprecedented for meets to be cancelled or moved and a poor forecast is usually the culprit - especially those meets involving sea cliffs. I apologise to Murray that the meet did not take place when he had driven down on Thursday. But even had the meet remained in Pembroke it was clear that no one due to drive down on Friday evening would have attended. On a sea cliff meet to Pembroke rain leaves very little option for rock climbing, hill walking, or scrambling - the usual fayre for a mountaineering club. To me it seemed better to move the meet rather than cancel it as everyone was keen to enjoy a long weekend and there we other options.

I would like to thank Adam for spending a good portion of his day on Friday researching camp sites, phoning for availability, and ensuring we had an alternative venue. I accept responsibility for moving the meet.
corbetteer

Post by corbetteer »

Whilst I take some of the points on board I think you guys simply need to understand weather forecasts are and will remain for the forseeable future as guesstimates. I left Bromsgrove in the rain on Thursday morning but by the time I got through Cardiff and Swansea on the M4 the sun was out and likewise at St Davids though a little mirky. I walked WhiteSands to Porthclais Thursday pm - dry. Friday sunny in Porthclais at 8am but a short shower by the time I reached Solva by 10.
Back in St Davids Friday pm - warm and sunny. Saturday a sea mist at Porthgain at 09.45 but sunny spells all the way down to Whitesands - dry all day basically. Went over to Ramsey Island Sunday - early shower at 10.30 but by 15.00 I was burning in temps of 26 and scorching back in St Davids.

Left early on Monday in glorious sunshine.

My point being places like this out on a limb have their own micro-climates - and so it proved. I dont think you would have had any issues with sea cliff climbing and I disagree with suggestions there would have been mass cancellations. If the venues had been reversed I don't think there would have been many of you cancelling Thirlmere and reverting to Porthclais!

PS Anna was extremely upset and angry as you may have seen on Facebook, I have every sympathy with her! A very poor decision all round.

Murray
It's easy, she's standing right next to you
NWalker

Post by NWalker »

Hi All

I've just come back from sunny Majorca and I'm really sad by some of the things I've read. Whatever the rights or wrongs please remember that committee members are volunteers. They give up their own time to make the club work as best as possible. Have I agreed with every decision made by a club committee? Absolutely not. However, I don't have the capacity to stand for a position and I remain appreciative of those who do.

I hope that you all made the very best of the long weekend and I look forward to seeing you soon

Very best wishes
Naomi