Mourne Mountains, Northern Ireland, 1st May Bank Holiday

Discuss and organise mountain meets here

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Jules

Re: Mourne Mountains, Northern Ireland, 1st May Bank Holiday

Post by Jules »

I'll be in and up for biking and walking if the bikers want to share a car
HarryC

Post by HarryC »

Hi All

Sign me up please! Very keen to do this :)

Will need to have a think about flight or ferry. Ferry sounds like more of an adventure and a road trip!

Harry C
HarryC

Post by HarryC »

Hi guys!

Just had a look at the ferries and can see that the prices are going up quite rapidly. They also have limited berths available online.

I am willing to drive. However, I only have a VW polo and It can’t take a huge amount of bags. I can take 3 passengers and 1.5 peoples bags at a real push (it would be a real squeeze). I can comfortably fit 2 passengers and almost all their bags.

Maybe we could have luggage cars and cars full of people and split the cost between all of us that go on the ferry? Probably a bad idea but just a thought.
HarryC

Post by HarryC »

Equally I am also happy to accept that my little polo isn’t suitable for this type of excursion :( and be a passenger in a car :)
kudos

Post by kudos »

HarryC wrote:Maybe we could have luggage cars and cars full of people and split the cost between all of us that go on the ferry? Probably a bad idea but just a thought.
Harry, I think that's a top idea, just think it's difficult to co-ordinate with such a rowdy group......!
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
kudos

EXTRA DAYS

Post by kudos »

I notice lots of folk are saying that they would take an extra day.

But I'm curious exactly when that extra day would be (my preference would always be the Friday since it avoids travelling up on the night before a BH).

But more-so, does that mean people intend to go into work on the day that they arrive back in Blighty, or is that 'extra' day supposed to be only used for recovered (not surprisingly I would intend working that day since life is short!).

Is it possible we could have some sort of tracker/table to identify who is going up when and allow some element of co-ordination?

Karl
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
VickyHiggs

Post by VickyHiggs »

If I work on the Tuesday I have to get to the office for a 9am meeting with our contractors, which I don't think I'll fancy straight off the ferry in my hiking gear :(

So, I will book the Tuesday off and have a legitimate reason to delegate. You could either get the overnight ferry back on the Monday night and enjoy a day of leisure/laundry at home, or get the Tuesday morning ferry, have an extra night of camping (but no additional activity time) and arrive back around 6pm on the Tuesday.

I would be up for either.
avmaestro

Post by avmaestro »

I'm in. I did one walk in the Mountains of Mourne in 2017, Slieve Donard, & they are fab.
I'll be in the van so I think I'll get a ferry.
Will also want to extend the trip. Possible lift share if dates compatible.
Malc
Watch where you're putting your feet
kudos

Post by kudos »

VickyHiggs wrote:If I work on the Tuesday I have to get to the office for a 9am meeting with our contractors, which I don't think I'll fancy straight off the ferry in my hiking gear :(

So, I will book the Tuesday off and have a legitimate reason to delegate. You could either get the overnight ferry back on the Monday night and enjoy a day of leisure/laundry at home, or get the Tuesday morning ferry, have an extra night of camping (but no additional activity time) and arrive back around 6pm on the Tuesday.

I would be up for either.
That sounds perfectly reasonable. So what you are saying is that you would be in Ireland and participating in activities on the Saturday and Sunday?

I'll be travelling from down south, and actually it makes more sense for me to fly from Heathrow to Belfast, and hire a car. My preference would be to have Saturday, Sunday and Monday in Ireland doing activities (and actually Tuesday since flights back aren't until 7pm), as this is £23 cheaper for me (FYI the above plan works out at rtn flights with bag for £127/£150, plus tiny car for about £60)

Perhaps it would be useful to know what days people would prefer to be in Ireland doing activities (as opposed to travelling), so that there is a reasonable consensus on when the extra day off is.

Just to point out that Friday night traffic is likely to be much heavier than Thursday night traffic, and bear in mind the distance need to travel to get to the ferry terminal.

Regards,

Karl
Huw

Post by Huw »

Fabian has proposed taking friday off work and travelling to Birkenhead on thur eve for the overnight ferry (the M6 being less prone to epic delay on thur).

Then travelling back on the Sunday night ferry for a chilled monday before the painful wrench back to work on Tue.

I'll post some prices I've found tonight, but this is what a few cars are planning to do.
Louise

Post by Louise »

Hi Karl et al

I was thinking of taking the Friday off too to avoid traffic. Travelling up Thurs eve sounds good. Could potentially take the Tuesday as well if anyones up for an extended weekend!

Lou
Huw

Post by Huw »

Harry - there is space in my car if you'd like a lift. Its currently Beth, me and Vicky. Theres space as its an estate, and looking at the price options 4 works out to be economical. £117.50 each for return ferry ticket. Cabin there and back. Keen to get it booked so let me know when you can. H
kudos

Post by kudos »

FYI, just booked flights for myself and Lucy.

Landing Belfast airport about 8am on Friday 3rd May, and flying out again about 8pm on Monday 6th May. Whoo-hoo!!!

We'll be hiring a car for about £60, but would consider sharing if this makes sense.

Happy booking,

Karl
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

Hi Karl

I just looked at flights from Birmingham
one arriving on fri at 7.55am
and departing on Monday at 8.40pm

might fit with your flights if you wouldn't mind me sharing in the hire car??
Fabian

Post by Fabian »

Right, I've booked my car onto the Thursday night ferry from liverpool, returning Sunday evening (also overnight).

I'm taking Adam and louise, and more importantly my mountain bike.

If booking direct with Stena line direct use the promo code 'coolio' for a discount.

Fabian