Stargazing

For news etc. on Social Events

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Mike Hogg

Stargazing

Post by Mike Hogg »

The next Social event will be Stargazing on the Clent Hills. Members of the Birmingham Astronomical Society will be on hand with telescopes and equipment to help you explore the night sky and explain what you are looking at. This event is organised by the National Trust.

Date - Tuesday 17th January 2012.

Time - 7.30pm prompt should finish at 9.30pm.

Place - Meet at Nimmings Car park Grid Ref SO 939808 see map at http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=52.424 ... 20park____

Cost - £2 each. Pay on the night no need to book.

What to bring - Outdoor clothing and torches.

What happens if it is cloudy - Still meet up there are others things to look at (The Sun Inn at Romsley!).

Mike Hogg
socialsec@mercianmc.org.uk
Mike van Dog
Mike Hogg

Re: Stargazing

Post by Mike Hogg »

Stargazers

Nimmings Car Park is normally closed at night but will be open for Star Ship parking! However the gate will be locked at 9.30pm so if you want to wonder over the Clent Hills after the event and your Star Ship does not have a Transporter fitted I suggest you park somewhere else.
Mike van Dog
Ham Brian

Post by Ham Brian »

I always use the carparking area adjacent to Walton Hill which doesn't get locked - many people think that the hill with the four stones is the high point, it isn't, the high point is Walton Hill which is a Marilyn and G/CE-002 for Summits on the Air.

Anyway, I assume that this event won't take place at the car park, nobody wants to have their dark adaption ruined by sudden bursts of headlights, so where do those parking elsewhere head for? If I can pursuade Pauline I will be there, I was a member of the BAS from 1959 to 1974, who knows, I might see somebody who remembers me!
Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawks flight in the empty sky.
Mike Hogg

Post by Mike Hogg »

The Stargazing will take place on the hill you need to park at Nimmings and pay £2 per person the parking is free. You will then be guided :arrow: up the hill to the stargazing.
Mike van Dog
Vicki

Post by Vicki »

Have fun and don't forget your thermals. :)
Ham Brian

Post by Ham Brian »

A pleasant evening, I got a bit fed up in the queue for the 10" Schmidt-Cassegrain but thoroughly enjoyed bumbling about the paths in the dark (from choice, I had a headtorch!)

How about a night meet sometime, Stiperstones in the dark, no torches allowed?
Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawks flight in the empty sky.
Mike Hogg

Post by Mike Hogg »

Hi Folks

Thanks for coming and enduring the queues for the telescopes. Numbers far exceeded our predictions we had about 140 people attend. It would have been better to have had a camera on the telescopes and a video screen so that more people could see what was happening, not sure if this would be possible (the National Trust does have a generator).
How about a night meet sometime, Stiperstones in the dark, no torches allowed?
I think some members have enough problems in the dark without inventing them!
Mike van Dog