Mercian Olympics 8 Sept

For news etc. on Social Events

Moderators: Fabian, VickyHiggs, joel, Stew, HarryC, Danielhand24, Andy A, Adam, Huw, Tom

Fabian

Mercian Olympics 8 Sept

Post by Fabian »

Hello All.

I don't know if any of you have spotted it, but in the calender for the 8th of September is the Mercian Olympics.

The aim is to head to Cannon Hill park on the 8th September to assess which Mercian is the most Athletic.

The events will probably* include:
-Mini Golf**
-Egg&spoon race
-100m sprint (in pedalo swans**)
-Boules tournament
-longest skid on a bike
-Drinking Pimm's & gin
-picnic

I guess the idea would be to start in Cannon Hill at 1 O' clock. I'll probably try and set up the Mercian gazebo somewhere as an HQ.

It also happens to be my birthday that day- so would anyone fancy heading out for a few drinks afterwards?

If the weather ends up being particularly rotten, we might just relocate to the pub earlier and see who is best at darts/pool and singing along to the jukebox.

Sign up below if you are up for coming, so I can plan accordingly& do let me know if I have forgotten anything.

Whoop-whoop***

Fabian

*I promise I will get around to organising it properly soon.
** You will need some pocket money for these.
***Just tying to inject some enthusiasm here

People that have signed up (including via email):
Me
Jules
Louise
Stew
Vijay
Tom Mead
Emma
Clara
Adam
Joel
Huw
Beth
Last edited by Fabian on 05 Sep 2018, 19:31, edited 6 times in total.
Jules

Re: Mercian Olympics 8 Sept

Post by Jules »

I'm in.
I might miss some of the warm up races though as I'll be resting ready for the swans.
Can we put the swans at the end?
Celebratory drinks also and medals. Obvs
Stew

Post by Stew »

Sign me up.
Louise

Post by Louise »

Count me in. If drinking pimms is an event I think I’m in with a chance. ;)
vijaykorotane

Post by vijaykorotane »

Hi All
Count me in.
Vijay
joel

Post by joel »

Sign me up, ill hopefully make this.
Huw

Post by Huw »

Sounds ace, sign Beth and I up
Fabian

Post by Fabian »

Hi all,

Sorry for leaving this to the last minute...

The plan is to rendezvous at the midlands arts centre (MAC) at 13.30 and assess the liklihood of them renting us swans & letting us play crazy golf (the man said they would be open unless the rain became heavy & persistent). If it looks like a goer we go with plan A.

Plan A

Rent some swans & race them

play crazy golf

see who can get the longest skid on a bike*

wheelbarrow/3legged/egg&spoon races**

boules tornament**

*you can borrow my bike if you want, or bring your own.

**the plan was to sit around drinking pimms in the nice weather whilst we did these activities. Obviously if the weather is grim as expected, it might be better to go and get a cup of tea or a beer in the MAC & admire the art instead.

alternativeley if the weather is truly miserable and they shut the golf & swans...

Plan B

cultural crawl. the only establishments we are allowed to drink in before tea time must be museums or art galleries. we can start at the mac & then head to town.

Obviously I am routing for plan A. I will be happy to race the pedalo swans in storm conditions if the cannon hill park keeper will let us.

Tea at Mine

I am presuming that some people may want to change their clothes before we go out. I am happy for people to have tea/pimms/gin at mine and shower/change. My place is about 1.5 miles from cannon hill. It is probably about a 5-6 quid in an uber taxi. I presume that unless the weather turns out to be glorious, we will be back at mine by about 4ish.

Supper at Digbeth

for food the plan is to head to http://originalpattymen.com/ for about 6.30. If it is looking too busy we can head to digbeth dining club as a backup. If we get to digbeth early we can have a cheeky pint in the woodman.

Evening

Explore the cultural sights of Birmingham***

***pub?

Note: We have a WhatsApp group on the go to keep people up to date as the plans change according to the prevailing conditions. if you want adding to the group please message me or any of the people that signed up above, and we can get you added to the group.